What Foods Are Toxic to Dogs?

Giving your pup a full and nutritious diet is important for ensuring a healthy lifestyle and a long and happy life. As a responsible dog parent, we’re sure you’re well aware of the types of foods they can eat without any bother, but do you know what foods are toxic to dogs? Continue reading our helpful guide to find out, and to avoid any dietary mistakes for your pup when you next put food in their bowl.

Which foods are toxic?

As we all know, dogs can be opportunistic when it comes to sniffing out tasty snacks and devouring them. This is why you’ve got to be aware of their movements around the kitchen and dining table. There are plenty of foods in your kitchen that are toxic to dogs that you may not know about. Most people know that chocolate is bad for a pooch, but did you know that the below list of items are also really bad too?

  • Chocolate

  • Onion, garlic & chives

  • Macadamia nuts

  • Corn on the cob

  • Avocado

  • Alcohol

  • Grapes & raisins.

Chocolate

Chocolate contains a stimulant called theobromine which is poisonous to dogs. Theobromine mainly affects the guts, heart, central nervous system and kidneys of a pup. Signs of theobromine poisoning will occur between four and 24 hours after a dog has eaten chocolate. It can lead to vomiting, diarrhoea, restlessness, hyperactivity and seizures.

Onion, garlic & chives

Eating onions, garlic and chives can cause stomach and gut irritation, which can potentially lead to red blood cell damage and anaemia. Onions are toxic for pups and signs of poisoning often occur a few days after they’ve eaten it. All forms of onion can be problematic, including dehydrated onions, raw onions, and cooked onions. Left-over pizza and Chinese dishes can also cause illness.

Macadamia nuts

Macadamia nuts are especially dangerous for dogs because within 12 hours of ingestion, a pup is likely to experience weakness, depression, tremors, vomiting and increased body temperature. These symptoms will generally last between 12 and 48 hours. If you notice your pup is struggling because they’ve consumed nuts, note the amount that they’ve eaten and contact a vet.

Corn on the cob

This may come as a surprise to many of you but corn on the cob can be bad for a pup’s digestive system. Although the corn can be digested, the cob can cause a blockage in the intestines, which can be fatal.

Avocado

You may love avocado on toast but your dog definitely shouldn’t join you! Avocados are another toxic food for dogs because avocado plants contain a substance called Persin in its leaves, fruit and seed. This can cause vomiting and diarrhoea.

Alcohol

This one may seem pretty obvious but many people still give their pups a little sip of beer from time to time. If you do this, it’s time to stop! Alcohol is a lot more toxic to dogs than it is to us humans. Even small quantities can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, decreased coordination, central nervous system depression, difficulty breathing, tremors, blood changes, coma and even death.

Grapes & raisins

Our final tip for foods that are toxic to pups are grapes and raisins, which can come as a surprise to lots of dog parents. Raisins are in so many foods that we all adore, like cakes, cereals and biscuits. The active ingredient that causes the toxin is unknown but both grapes and raisins have been known to cause severe liver damage and kidney failure in dogs.

Treat your pup with paw-some gifts

Treat your pup with some personalised dog gifts from Yappy! We have a wide range of gifts you can choose from for your little canine friend.

Pick up a cute dog bandana or personalised blankets and dog cushions - perfect for making them super comfy!

At Yappy, we also have a fur-bulous range of walking bags so you can take all of your pup’s essentials out with you on walkies, including tasty dog treats!

If you’d like to know more about what Yappy offers, don’t hesitate to contact us on help@yappy.com.


Share this article

Previous
Previous

How to Walk a Dog

Next
Next

The Best Dog Gifts for Movie Lovers