Dangerous Easter Foods for Dogs: Avoid These Common Treats

Easter is a joyful time; egg hunts, spring sunshine and spending time with loved ones (especially our dogs). Chocolate eggs fill the shops and flowers pop up in beautiful technicolour, but these seasonal things can also be seriously harmful to our dogs.

From chocolate Easter eggs and hot cross buns to flowers and bulbs, it’s important that dog owners make sure their pooches don’t chomp on these common springtime treats.

Chocolate

Chocolate poisoning is particularly common with dogs this time of year, and it’s not surprising to see why. Easter eggs are a popular treat in most homes, and who doesn’t love the thrill of finding a chocolate egg on an Easter egg hunt?

However, as chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine, this sweet treat is seriously harmful for dogs. Eating even a small amount of chocolate can have serious consequences and result in the following symptoms in dogs:

Vomiting
Diarrhoea
Seizures
Death (in very serious cases)

If your dog has eaten chocolate, make sure to call your vet for their advice.

Tips to keep your dog safe from chocolate

  • If you’re taking part in an Easter egg hunt, keep your dog away from the activity and make sure all the chocolate has been found.

  • Don’t leave any chocolate unattended. When it’s not being eaten, keep it out of paws’ reach.

  • No matter how much your dog gives you their puppy dog eyes, don’t let them have any chocolate. As a yummy (and safe) alternative, you can give them some dog-friendly treats!

Hot Cross Buns

Most hot cross buns contain dried fruit such as raisins, sultanas and currants, which are toxic to dogs.

If your dog eats raisins, sultanas, currents or grapes, they may experience vomiting and diarrhoea, and in worst cases, these fruits can cause kidney failure.

The reasons behind why these fruits are toxic is a bit of a mystery as some dogs have eaten large amounts of dried fruit without feeling unwell, whereas others have become unwell after eating just a small amount.

It’s always best to err on the side of caution, so if you suspect that your dog has eaten any amount of dried fruit, contact your vet immediately.

Easter Roast Dinner

When you’re tucking into your roast dinner on Easter Sunday, it may be tempting to share some of your grub with your pup, but there’s a number of foods traditionally served with a roast dinner that are too fatty, too salty, and even toxic to dogs, such as:

Cooked bones
While bones aren’t poisonous, they’re prone to splitting when gnawed and chewed. This can lead to bone fragments getting stuck in your dog’s throat, which can result in choking.

Garlic, onions and other bulb vegetables
These ingredients are often used to flavour a delicious roast dinner, however, they can cause stomach upsets and even red blood cell damage to pets.

Nut roast
While not all nuts are toxic to dogs, most of them are very high in fat, which can result in an upset stomach, pancreatic issues, and obesity in dogs. Macadamia nuts in particular are toxic to dogs.

Skin/fat from cooked meats
It may be tempting to give your dog some of your leftovers, like chicken skin or a fatty piece of meat, however, this is far too fatty for your dog’s diet and in worst cases, it can cause inflammation of their pancreas.

Gravy
Similar to above, gravy can be far too salty and fatty for your dog.

Spring Flowers & Bulbs

One of the delights of spring is seeing the spring flowers emerge, but these beautiful blooms can be deadly to our dogs, especially if they like to chew and dig in the garden.

In particular, keep an eye out for:

Daffodils
Brilliant and bright, these friendly yellow flowers are a fiend to your dog if ingested. Daffodils, their bulbs and their flowerpot water is dangerous and will give your dog an upset stomach, make them sick, and they may even have fits.

Tulips
Tulips often mark the arrival of spring, but these flowers are extremely poisonous to pets. From the petals to the bulbs and their flowerpot water, keep your furry friend away from this flower as they can make your dog sick and irritate their mouth and gastrointestinal tract.

Other poisonous flowers include: Snowdrops, Bluebells and Crocus.

Sugar-free Sweets

Lots of sugar-free sweets contain xylitol, which is really harmful for dogs.

Xylitol can cause your dog’s blood sugar levels to drop dangerously low and can cause liver damage. Even with sweets that don’t contain xylitol, it’s important not to give your dog many (or any!) sweets as too much sugar can contribute to weight gain and dental issues.

As a delicious alternative, why not whip up some baked brownies for your pup?

Alcohol

Easter gatherings often include a few alcoholic drinks, but it’s no secret that dogs can’t handle their booze; it hits their bloodstream quickly and can result in a drop in their blood temperature and blood sugar. As worst, this can lead to seizures and respiratory failure.

If want to share a drink with your dog this Easter, why not opt for a dog-friendly alternative? They’ll woof it!

What to do if you think your dog has been poisoned

If you think that your dog has been poisoned, it’s important that you act quickly. Contact your vet as soon as your dog shows signs of being ill.

It’s also helpful to write down a few notes to help your vet, such as symptoms they’re experiencing, what you think they’ve eaten/drunk, and how much.

If you’ve spotted your dog eating something dangerous, then don’t wait for symptoms to show. Call your vet asap for their professional advice.

And lastly, never try to make your dog sick as this may harm your dog and cause other complications.


Share this article

Previous
Previous

Dog Easter Gifts: Must-Have Treats for Dogs & Dog Lovers

Next
Next

Dressing Up Your Dog: How to Tell If They’re Having Fun